Signs and Symptoms Of COVID-19
These days we are inundated with information regarding COVID-19. This respiratory illness is responsible for the public health crisis in the United States and the rest of the world.
With so much information, it’s easy to get confused and anxious. Here we will try to present the signs and most common symptoms of COVID-19 so you can recognize them and take action should you get sick.
What are the Symptoms of COVID-19?
Scientists are still learning how the disease affects patients, and it’s important to keep in mind that everyone experiences the illness differently.
Most patients have mild symptoms and can recover at home. In contrast, others require hospitalization because of severe symptoms or complications from other underlying medical conditions. And there are also those who, although they carry the virus, never develop any symptoms.
Common Symptoms of COVID-19
- Fever – Researchers say up to 99% of patients hospitalized develop a persistent fever
- Dry Cough – An estimated 59% of patients experience a dry cough
- Fatigue – Over 70% of patients report feeling constantly tired
Frequent Yet Less Common Symptoms of COVID-19
Other symptoms may include:
- Body Aches
- Chest Pain
- Congestion or Runny Nose
- Sore Throat
- Nausea and Vomiting
- New Loss of Sens of Taste or Smell
- Loss of Appetite
- Eye Problems – Including light sensitivity, swollen eyelids, and excessive watering
- Skin Rash, or Discoloration of Fingers or Toes
- New and Unexplained Confusion
Symptoms typically appear between 2-14 days after exposure to the virus.
This list of symptoms is not all-inclusive. Doctors and researchers continue to discover new signs of illness. Therefore, we recommend you speak to your doctor if you believe you may be sick with COVID-19.
Emergency Warning Signs
If you develop any of the following symptoms, please seek immediate medical attention. Always call before visiting your doctor or a health facility and make sure to mention you are seeking help for someone who has or may have COVID-19.
- Trouble Breathing
- Persistent Chest Pain or Pressure
- New confusion
- Loss of Speech or Movement
- Inability to Wake or Stay Awake
- Bluish Lips or Face
COVID- 19 Self-Checker
If you are not sure if your symptoms are related to COVID-19, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides a self-checker test for anyone to use.
How to Protect Yourself from Infection
Prevention is always the best option. Follow these recommendations to avoid catching and spreading the virus.
- Keep your hands clean. Use soap and water and scrub them for at least 20 seconds
- Maintain a safe distance of at least 6-feet when out in public
- Wear a mask when you are around other people outside of your home
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth
- Cover your nose and mouth with your bent elbow or a tissue when you cough or sneeze
- If you are not feeling well, stay home and call your doctor if your symptoms worsen
At Rejuvenation Laser Med Spa and Weight Loss, we care about your health and wellbeing. We urge you to please follow all preventive measures to avoid COVID-19 infection and to seek medical help if you do become sick.